Saturday, December 11, 2010

:: He's Not Heavy ::

I listen to Pandora habitually these days, mainly because of what many know as the spice of life: Variety. More than once I come across a song that speaks to me on levels so deep I can't put it into words. Only but rarely do I hear a song that manages to get the words into my ears. It was just such an occasion, recently, when I heard "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" as sung by the Choirboys.

The Choirboys - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

The following (non-factual) story found its way into my mind (after the jump):

He's Not Heavy
by Jay Carter III
After they pulled the Savior from the cross, his body was placed in a cart for transport to the tomb in which he would be laid. There was a solemn procession in which the family of Jesus was joined by several of the apostles and only a few of Christ’s closest followers. After the group had only just left Golgotha, James, Jesus’ mortal brother, noticed that the coarseness of the road was jostling the wagon terribly. Silently, he placed a hand on the shoulder of the apostle who was pulling the cart. Then, with all watching what he did next, James reached down into the cart and cradled Jesus’ body in his arms, carrying him away from where the cart stood as if he were a small child.

Several miles down the road, one of the apostles, concerned that James might need a reprieve, offered to carry Jesus’ body instead. James continued walking as he replied:

"He’s not heavy. He’s my brother.”

No comments:

Post a Comment