Sunday, December 12, 2010

:: Butterfly Grounded ::

I submit the following with more than a little trepidation, for this poem was meant for a once-love, and not the woman I married. Still, it embodies something universal enough that I still regard it as relevant for those in the same situation as I had been.
She was in Belgium for a year and a half. Still, the tensile strength of love was never tested by leaving Cupid's bow unstrung. I took a semester of French while she was away. I wrote her weekly, sometimes twice. We had only been on two dates before she left, but I felt like her being away did more to strengthen what I felt for her than diminish it. Alas, it did not last. Belgium was so far away, and my eyes and arms forgot her, and all my heart remembered was a fable; a love story to tell myself at night. Several months before she returned I met another girl and soon I stopped writing altogether.

Then one day Belgium showed up at my door. It took only until the end of a longish walk to see that we would not have made it even if this other girl were not in the picture. Our priorities were too different by then; our experiences ~ and therefore our beliefs ~ were too different...too nostalgic, as it were.

The irony of all of this is that the girl I met lived in Minnesota. I traded writing-letters-half-way-across-the-world for driving-halfway-across-the-country. But I guess I thought this butterfly, who had braved half a world, could make it eight hours in a Honda. And it did. When I felt the time was right, I asked Minnesota to marry me and come to Kansas.

But as it turned out, I underestimated the cost of the trip. I was starting to see the same thing that happened with Belgium happen with Minnesota; the things we wanted were too different. I became tired and at last I had to resign myself to the seat at that old cottage in Tuscany. After that, it wasn't long before the moisture gathered, the wetness beaded, and finally, the boulder dropped. Minnesota moved to Hawaii for school. And I could not follow. "Marvelous captive/Trade me places/For my love is far from me/And my heart cannot fly."

Which is why I'm so lucky to have married Kansas. Where she flies, I am circling somewhere nearby, admiring the colors of the woman my eyes can see and my arms can hold. And at night, I tell my heart the story of the woman sleeping beside me.

Full text of the poem after the jump.
Butterfly Grounded
by Jay Carter III

Back when I lived in Tuscany
I stopped at an old cottage
And sat.

The warm breeze wafted
Scents of geraniums
Over my worn body.

Rested, Rocking
I shuffled my dusty
Shoes
And beat my worn
Hat.

As I squinted in the sunlight

Flitting, flying
Rising, diving
Flew a silver butterfly.

It came to me-ward
But a boulder of dew
Fell from a shingle.

Grounded, Struggling
The fairy shuffled its damp
Shoes
And Beat its heavy
Hat.

Marvelous captive,
Trade me places
For my love is far from me
And my heart cannot fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment