Saturday, December 11, 2010

:: Encyclopædia Fantastica ::

It seems my entire life I have been imagining what fantastic creatures might be like if they were real. How does mermaid anatomy work when it combines both mammal and fish structures? Is a dragon's fire breath actually flammable gas that it somehow ignites, or is it purely magical? Is a griffin the literal half-eagle/half-lion, or is it an entirely unique creature that simply resembles these two halves? Answering these questions has become somewhat of a lifetime obsession of mine, and one that I have begun to exorcise from my brain by writing a reference book about it: The Encylcopædia Fantastica.

I have already compiled a list of roughly 150 entries that should cover most of the creatures known to the human imagination. I exclude most deities (unless they are universal enough so as to be ubiquitous thematically, if not in name—such as the Sacrificing God, or the God of Thunder, or the God of the Underworld, etc.) as well as unique beings (such as Scylla and Charybdis from Homer's Odyssey) unless they have survived in modern fiction as their own race (such as the Pegasus, the Phoenix, or the Minotaur, all of which were originally cast as single entities). I also gloss many cultural variations of a single creature together as one being (such as the Hob, Hobgoblin, Boggart, Boggane, and Brownie, just to name a few). What results then, is the list below.

As I intend to explain the fantastic world exhaustively, this will mean covering every major (and perhaps minor) topic that exists. Hopefully, when I am done, I will have a method for explaining any known mythological concept in universal terms ~ including the unique ones ~ from Amphisbæna to Zephyrus. But to do this, I need your help.

In order for the list to be complete, I must consider creatures that perhaps have never occurred to me. If you see any gaps on my list, or can think of a variation I might not have considered, PLEASE comment and add it. They should be races or classes of beings (such as fairies or deities) rather than named beings (such as Queen Mab or Zeus). Any suggestion is appreciated; future generations of nerds will thank you!

List of Fantastic Creatures (after the jump)
Aeryad
Angel
Asura
Banshee
Basilisk
Behemoth
Boggart
Brownie
Cambion
Caryatid
Centaur
Changeling
Cherub
Chimera
Cleric
Cockatrice
Couatl
Cyclops
Deity
Demi-human
Demon
Devil
Djinni
Doppelganger
Dragon
Drake
Druid
Dryad
Duergar
Dwarf
Efreeti
Elemental
Elf
Faerie
Familiar
Faun
Fiend
Gargouille
Ghost
Ghoul
Giant (Animal)
Giant (Human)
Gnome
Goblin
Golem
Gorgon
Gremlin
Griffin
Grim
Hag
Halfling
Hammadryad
Harpy
Hell Hound
Hinkypunk
Hippocampus
Hippogriff
Hob
Hobbit
Hobgoblin
Homunculus
Human
Hydra
Imp
Incubus
Intelligence
Jack o' Lantern
Kelpie
Kithkin
Knocker
Kobold
Kraken
Lammasu
Leprechaun
Leviathan
Lich
Lycanthrope
Mage
Magician
Magus
Mandrake
Manticore
Marid
Merfolk
Merrow
Minotaur
Monk
Mummy
Mystic
Naga
Nephilim
Nereid
Nixie
Nymph
Ogre
Oracle
Orc
Oreid
Pegasus
Phantom
Phoenix
Phooka
Piskie
Poltergeist
Prophet
Pyreid
Rakshasa
Red Cap
Roc
Sage
Salamander
Sasquatch
Satyr
Sea Sepent
Selkie
Seraph
Shade
Shaman
Skeleton
Skinchanger
Sorcerer
Spectre
Sphinx
Spirit
Spriggan
Sprite
Succubus
Sylph
Tarrasque
Telamon
Titan
Treefolk
Triton
Troll
Undine
Unicorn
Vampire
Warlock
Werewolf
Wight
Will o' the Wisp
Witch
Witch-doctor
Wizard
Wraith
Wunderkind
Wyrm
Wyvern
Yeti
Zombie

4 comments:

  1. I can't think of any other Fantastic Creatures. If I do I'll run them by you. This topic sounds very interesting. Look forward to your next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dullahan (wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan) There's a great many Fey creatures of Irish descent that you could put in here. CJ Cherryh wrote a book that my dad owns that has a index at the end of it of all the types of Sidhe creatures mentioned... I wish I could remember what it's called.

    Also: I am reminded of this youtube vidya, which is an excerpt from a movie that I SERIOUSLY want to see (Secret of Kells) that is very heavily influenced by Irish folklore.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTiSak8r9P8

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_critters

    This page also might be worth perusing, to see if there's a unique creature that doesn't meld with what you've already got...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take me with you to see Secret of Kells. SERIOUSLY take me with you.

    ReplyDelete